It has taken me a while to start blogging again, but in the spirit of ushering in a new year I’m sharing my experiences as it applies to diversity recruiting and empowerment coaching. I hope you decide to take this graceful 2019 journey with me with a whole new mindset filled with goals, uninhibited possibilities, and a burning passion for unabashed success. This is our year for the taking. Yes, magic is in the air, but you must visualize what it looks like for you. So, are you ready? This year is all about taking on the challenges that you felt were too big for you. It’s about stretching beyond comfort and convenience to reach for unknown that can turn out to be earth shattering, life changing success in the end. You never know unless you try. And, everyone has their own definition of what constitutes success: it’s your choice. It may require some vulnerability and moments of standing in your truth to really get to know where you are and imagine where you want to be.
Here are my top 5 career tips and suggestions for undertaking this fantastic new year just moments ahead:
1) Focus: It is said that we spend much of our day in the land of distractions. Our devices can be the devil. Cell phones, laptops and TV’s have run amuck in our lives and in order to achieve our dreams in 2019 we must say no more. In order to get where you want to be at your job and in your career requires intense focus. Try this exercise: use a stopwatch or put your timer on your phone to productive use. While you are working start the timer and once you find yourself wandering through text, no work emails, internet surfing or fixated on tv when you are supposed to be working, stop the clock. Notice how long you work before you get distracted. Try timing your productive minutes per day for a week and do not allow any distractions during this time. This will in the end help you better time manage your work days better.
2) Faith: This is my favorite. The power of stepping out on faith requires venturing into the unknown and knowing that whoever or whatever higher power you look to for guidance and support has got you. The feeling of turning your ideas/wishes into actual plans and results requires closing your eyes and being still. It is in the stillness that most of your answers are given. In this stillness you know that everything will be just fine moving forward. Having the faith and commitment to take the steps that further your career which sometimes requires being in unchartered territory. Have a little faith!
3) FearCrush: This is the year to face your fears. We all have a few things that terrify us but can also hinder our overall career success. What’s stopping you from being where you want to be? Are you the quiet one in the office who never wants to ruffle any feathers? Or, the pushover that does everyone else’s work to include your own but doesn’t receive any recognition? Are you afraid of public speaking but realize that it in order to reach the next level it is a necessary step? Is networking not your strong suit but you need to meet clients to sell your business? If you answer yes to any or all these questions, it’s time to make this year about overcoming your fears.
4) Intent: You know the saying “The road to hell is paved with good intentions.”? You can work with the best intentions but without a plan about how you see your professional goals shaping up you’ve got nothing. Move forward with a clear mind flow and strong determination. Write down, sketch or text how you see your career moving in the next 3, 6, 9, and 12 months then reassess and regroup as needed. It takes visualization and action to achieve your goals.
5) Actor or Stunt Double: In your movie are you the lead actor or a stunt double. In other words, are you living your life or playing the stuntman in your own movie? This is something you must figure out immediately. It’s time to stop sitting on the sidelined of your life while it plays out. Take immediate action and switch gears if needed but be the main actor and take charge of your career.
As the ball drops at midnight and you kiss, hug and celebrate with your loved ones with a glass of champagne remember to toast to reaching new heights at your job and in your career. I am hoping that the tools given will serve as a springboard to 2019’s success. Cheers!
I’m a diversity staffing firm owner and career coach. Someone who sees incredible potential and opportunity where light doesn’t traditionally shine and in minority and female candidates, who have been and are still marginalized on Wall Street, in Technology and beyond. I believe in our interconnectedness as humanity and strive every day to use my gifts to place and empower great people. Diamond in the ruff candidates are my absolute favorites placements made to date. I rarely bet on certainty and always root for the underdog because after all, those are the best stories to tell.
Original Post: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/top-5-career-tips-kick-off-your-2019-angela-solomon/